It's teacher week Day 2! Hosted again by the wonderful teachers at Blog Hoppin'. Just click the link above to link up and post yourself!
So today is about giving some advice to all the new wonderful teachers out there! Here are my top 10 things to remember:
1. Fake it 'til you make it! When you are meeting with parents, administrators, whoever it may be, make sure you are CONFIDENT because you know exactly what you are doing!
2. Beg, borrow, and steal! Use EVERYTHING you see or hear around you. Don't be afraid to take someone's ideas, worksheets, activities, and make them your own. Teaching is all about sharing!
3. SMILE! Even if your day is crazy and 10 bad things have happened, remember to stop, have a read aloud of your favorite book, and ENJOY your kids.
4. Don't sweat the small stuff. If everything does not go exactly as planned it's ok, the kids are still learning, trust me!
5. Remember where your kids are coming from! Finding out about their home lives will give you a huge insight as to how to help them at school.
6. Love what you do. Make sure you do something each day when you are teaching that you really enjoy doing with the kids (I do a "morning jam" each day to wake up the kids' brains. Really, I just like to see them dance and relax a little in the morning :-).
7. Make time to talk to your colleagues. They will help you immensely when you are down and out!
8. Love, love, love your secretary because if there's a jam, she will help get you out of it.
9. Be kind and chatty with your custodial staff. They will walk on water for you if you are their friend! You will have puke cleaned up in no time flat...
10. GO HOME. Do not stay at school forever because there is only so much you can do in a day. Your biggest asset is your energy, so don't waste it all when the kids aren't there!
Good luck new teachers, and keep checking out my blog for FREE resources you can use!